Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Finding Ke Akua

Hawaii - 9:30 A.M., New Zealand - 8:30 A.M. (Thursday, October 20)

Kia Ora Reader!

It's official.  Classes are done and exams have already begun.  To give you an idea of what the next week and a half will be like for me, here is my exam schedule:

Wednesday, October 19: Cultural & Social Identities Sociology (2:30 P.M.)
Friday, October 21: Māori Society (2:30 P.M.)
Wednesday, October 26: Conversational Māori (2:30 P.M.)

Sociology could have gone better but it's over and done with.  All I can do is prepare for my next two.  So that is what I will do.

In other news, I officially have 24 days until I leave New Zealand (25 until I'm home).  It's hard to believe I have under a month left!  It is also hard to believe I have been here for nearly four months when it feels like it was just yesterday that I was arriving in New Zealand.  Granted, I am very excited to be heading home soon because I miss my family, friends, paddling, and everything about home.  However, I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness because New Zealand is beautiful in so many ways.  I have not only found myself, but I have found God here.

Three weekends ago I went to the Doubtful Sound with my program (I highly recommend studying abroad with IFSA-Butler!!!  They take very good care of you throughout the semester).  We met on campus at 6:15 in the morning on Saturday, October 1 and made the long drive to Te Anau (approximately four hours).  We then went to Lake Manapouri (Māori for "sorrowful heart") where we hopped onto a little boat which would ferry us across the lake and to the place where we would catch another bus.



The bus ride was approximately 45 minutes long and took us to the boat we would be staying on for an overnight cruise of the Doubtful Sound.

Upon boarding, we were introduced to the crew, told the basic emergency information, and shown to our cabins.  They also had a basic schedule for us in regards to the next two days.

My bunkmates -- from left to right, Monique, Tori, and Sarah L.


From here, our boat departed the docks and headed out into the stunning Sound.





My friends, Lena and Sarah Robertson, stopping for a picture.






It was a windy day.  Oh, and my friend, Sarah Ring, got a little damp thanks to the spray off the front of the boat.

It was a relaxing day and perfect nap weather.

The coast and the Tasman Sea.

It was a bit windy and pretty rainy but so, so, so beautiful.  And the crew was great!  They had heaps of games for us to play (everything from Clue to Scrabble, from Guess Who? to Monopoly) and we even had the chance to go KAYAKING IN THE DOUBTFUL SOUND.  Yes, caps are necessary.







And then... we went swimming in the Doubtful Sound.

Oh you know, just jumping into 10 degree Celsius (approximately 50 degrees Farenheit) water that makes up the Doubtful Sound.

Now let me tell you... that was the coldest water I've ever gone swimming in.  And my body went through shock as soon as I hit the water and popped my head up to catch a breath.  Every muscle in my arms seemed to contract and not want to move, making it nearly impossible to swim back to the boat.  There was a point when I thought, "I'm going to drown in the Doubtful Sound.  Everybody is going to watch me sink to the bottom."  As you can tell, I managed to make it out alive--with a struggle, of course.  But it was an unbelievable (and unbelievably cold) experience I will treasure forever.

We pretty much took over the showers post-swim and boy does warm water do wonders after being completely soaked!  Then, we retreated upstairs where we played board games and hung out until dinner.  Dinner was a fantastic spread of salads, roasted vegetables (in which kumara was found), salmon, chicken, a roast, and so much more.  Following dinner was an even more impressive spread of desserts!  Mud pie, pavlova, cheese and crackers, cheesecake, and so much more.  It was fantastic and I'm pretty sure I ate more than I should have.

For the rest of the evening we simply relaxed and enjoyed each others' company.  Lena and I tried to put together a puzzling cube and eventually received help from one of the crew members, George.  George actually saw my Kai Poha Outrigger Canoe Club jersey when I was waiting to jump into the water and inquired about it.  I found it so cool that he actually paddles in the North Island!  So we had a lot to discuss.  He's Māori and thought it was cool I am from Hawai'i and studying the Māori culture and language.  He also gave me a list of a few bands to check out.  It was really great finally talking to a Māori because I haven't met any of them since Richard (the very nice Māori man from Orientation who took us to the Marae).

The next day we woke up to another impressive buffet, this time of breakfast foods!  Following breakfast, we explored the deck and discovered the Doubtful Sound to be even more gorgeous than the previous day.







Our awesome Student Services Coordinator (SSC), Leila:)




The view of the Sound from our bus ride.

I think my absolute favorite part was when we went into one of the arms of the Sound where there are the most stunning mountains and cliffs you have ever seen in your life.  There was splotches of snow, the most amazing waterfalls, and beautiful forest greenery.  The best part?  The crew brought the boat to a complete stop, turned off the engine, and asked us to stand in silence (without taking pictures) for five minutes.  And in those five minutes, I felt a wave of emotions wash over me.  I heard birds, waterfalls, the wind, the ocean, and God.   And I have never heard God speak to me before.  But he was there in everything I saw and felt.  It was quite possibly one of the most life-altering experiences in my life.  I felt so humble, looking up to these beautiful mountains towering over me.  I spent the weekend searching for an answer to a few of the difficult questions which had crossed my path.  I honestly don't know if I found the answers but I discovered something more important: The realization that despite what happened or what would happen, I would be okay.  I would always be okay.

I don't know if words can paint a picture for you of what it was like for me at the Doubtful Sound.  All I know is it made me feel my weakness and my strength simultaneously, made me feel everything, and helped me to understand and see I'm not alone.






Eventually we were forced to leave this section of the Sound then leave the Sound all together.  It was probably one of the most amazing experiences of this journey.  But it definitely provided me with everything I needed to feel and know before returning back to everyday life.

We retreated back to Te Anau after the bus and ferry ride back to Lake Manapouri.  From there we went to the Fiordland Cinema (in Te Anau) where we watched "Ata Whenua - Shadowland".  It is the most extravagant and amazing video of the Doubtful Sound.  The footage they collected is...remarkable and there is nothing quite like it.  I am actually debating about purchasing the DVD to bring back home to share with my family.  The footage is truly unbelievably stunning.

Oh, I can't forget.  We also had lunch in Te Anau which consisted of Meat Pies!

Venison Meat Pie--delicious!

Te Anau's Blossoms:)

Then we went to a Bird Sanctuary in Te Anau.  The people at the sanctuary rescue Native birds and heal them.  Or they raise some of the birds if they are too small and are unable to care for themselves.  We got to see a bunch of really cool birds and the woman who showed us around was very nice.  Overall, it was a great experience!  But I think everyone was eager to get back on the bus and go to sleep.  It felt really good to get back to Dunedin after such a fantastic weekend.  I feel so blessed to have been able to experience the Doubtful Sound.  There is truly nothing quite like it.

In addition to our trip to the Doubtful Sound, since I last wrote, we have also had our Farewell Dinner with the people in our IFSA-Butler program.  I know, can you believe it?  We went out to a lovely dinner at one of Dunedin's finest restaurants, Plato, where their Billiards Room was on reserve for us!  (If you're interested in reading up on this particular restaurant, here is the link to their website: http://www.platocafe.co.nz/)

Tricia and Monique enjoying their delicious entrees!

Chicken satay skewers with rice--so good!

The Main -- Sole fillets.  So, so, so, so good.
Emily and I split this and the following dish.

I can't remember what this particular dish was called.  But it was also very delicious!

Strawberry cheesecake?  Yes please.


Dinner was amazing but the company was even better.  Throughout the evening we received little goodies!  We each received an IFSA-Butler shirt as well as a CD with pictures (I will upload several of them in another blog).  Some people received goodies for nominations (such as Biggest Flirt, Cutest Couple, Best Baker, etc.) while some received something else...



The picture shown above is of the Fiordlands, taken on my Spring Break trip with my boyfriend.  I entered it into IFSA-Butler's photo contest and won!  So along with the other winners (four other girls from our Otago program similarly won!), we received a canvas with our pictures printed.  And they are gorgeous.  When I get home I will take a picture of it mounted on my wall somewhere:)

Oh, and might I add that I absolutely love my program and the people in it?  We pitched in some money and Sarah R. went to pick up a bone-carved necklace for Leila as a "thank you" gift.  And since it was Leila's birthday on Wednesday, Emily baked her a beautiful cake and we all sang "Happy Birthday" to her.  There were tears and it was fantastic.

In other news, I'm done with my bone carving class.  Sad.  Honestly, I'm a little thrilled because it's a few hours of my Wednesday I gain back (especially now that exams are on the move!), but at the same time I'm also sad because it was always such a thrill working so tediously on something.

My last piece (which was also my second piece) ended up being for my brother.  I do not question the karma but rather, I roll with it.  I started this piece and as I began to work on it and thinking of who to give it to, my brother drifted into my thoughts for reasons I am unsure of.  I felt a need to make this piece for him and while working on it, I could feel a sense of relief and a sense of peace wash over me.  As if everything would be okay and he would be okay.  A few days after starting this carving, I found out he had enlisted in the Army Reserves and would be heading off to Basic Training on October 25th (before I return home from New Zealand) and would be returning home in February (after I leave for Oregon).  I'll admit I was a bit devastated once I found out but I think finishing this piece became something which would help me feel better about the whole situation too.  I know he's off to do great things and I have so much pride in everything he can and will do.  I think Bone Carving has become a way for me to deal with the challenging things I have been presented with.  I suppose I like to think God speaks to me when I'm carving and he's helping me deal with things I might not have had the strength to cope with before.

Anyway, to go into detail about this particular carving: the shape of this piece is of a "toki" which was used by Māori to carve canoes and cut timber.  It symbolizes good character, power, and authority.  The "koru" or spiral, represents the fern frond as it opens, bringing with it new life and purity into the world.  It also symbolizes peace, tranquility, and spirituality as well as a sense of regrowth or new beginnings.  Furthermore, the koru also represents the strength and purity of a loving relationship in a family.



I am still feeling really blessed to be part of such a beautiful place, beautiful people, and beautiful times.  Life keeps getting better and I keep feeling better and stronger right along with it.  

Keep on keeping on, Dear Reader!  I'll write again soon:)

PS- For your enjoyment, pictures from our nights out on the town!

Lauren, me, and Steph

My main girls.



Me and Kate



1 comment:

  1. Lauren! Those pics are amazing! That's so awesome that you got to experience this! Too bad ATEP doesn't allow study abroad otherwise I would've really liked to do so!! booo.

    And yay you get to see eric soon! :D

    ReplyDelete