Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fjords, Mountains, and Snow--Oh My!

Hawaii - 1:00 P.M., New Zealand - 11:00 A.M. (Wednesday, September 7)

Hello Dear Reader!

Forgive me for the large frame of time between posts.  As I write this I have a nagging sensation in the back of my mind, telling me I have yet to post another blog which has been on hiatus.  I have started it but with the mayhem of tests and spring break, it is unfinished.  But I'm sure I'll post it up prior to this.  So you will have much to read and many pictures to see!  Pace yourself.  Especially because this post will be particularly long!!!

First, to give you an idea of how long I have been here, it is the eighth week of my academic career here at the University of Otago.  I have been in New Zealand for about two and a half months (since June 28th, I believe).  I finish my papers (AKA classes or courses) on October 14 and finish my exams on October 26th. I will be heading to San Francisco, CA on November 13th, and will continue on to Hawaii on November 14th.  I feel as if things are moving along at an accelerated rate.  I have approximately two and a half months left and while it feels as if that's a lot of time, it also feels as if it's not enough.  Additionally, I have yet to figure out what I am going to do upon completion of my final exams.  Initially, I was planning on making a trip to the Cook Islands with a few friends I have made here, but after further research into the matter, I have discovered it to be too expensive to go.  But it's okay.  I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to go to the Cook Islands.  Life is a strange, mysterious, and unpredictable thing; we are blessed with so many opportunities, it's amazing.  I never thought I would go to New Zealand, but I am here.  So I know my traveling opportunities are not over.  In fact, I feel as if they are just beginning.  I might possibly take an earlier flight to Auckland and travel the north island for a bit.  I haven't seen much of it and a lot of things I am interested in (concerts, outrigger canoe races, etc.) are happening there.  So hopefully I can spend some time exploring and seeing what the north island has to offer.  But as you can see, I haven't the faintest idea of what I will do in the upcoming months.  But I will keep you updated!

But on to the good stuff.  Spring break was amazing!  I had the best time with my boyfriend, Eric (AKA Big E or Bigs), but it's already starting to feel like a faint dream.  It feels too good to be true and the beautiful sights we have seen are just dancing in my memory.  Is it possible I have seen and experienced so much in a week?  To give you an idea of how amazing and crazy things were, I'll break it down by days for you.

Day 1 (August 28)
I woke up early because I had to catch an 8:00 A.M. shuttle to the Dunedin Airport.  However, while I was eating breakfast, I caught a glimpse of the most beautiful sunrise!  I think God knew Bigs was in New Zealand and it was the perfect welcoming.  It warmed my heart and made my morning that much better.

It takes about half an hour to get to the airport.  I was there by 8:45 A.M. but couldn't pick up our campervan until 9:00 A.M.  Additionally, Bigs' flight wasn't scheduled to arrive until 10:45 A.M.  So I walked around the airport, read a little bit, and picked up the campervan at 10:00 A.M.  The guys were really cool and I even got a discount!  They didn't charge me for the GPS, which reduced the cost of the camper significantly!  So I drove the van around to the parking lot, parked it, and toured the interior a little.

This is our campervan.  We named it Cloud.  (Long story short, I told Bigs I want a sheep and would name it Cloud.  Somehow we ended up naming our campervan cloud instead.)

The interior (behind the driver and passenger seat).  At the very back of the van, is the sink (right side of picture) and fridge/cooler (center).


The interior with the bed set up.

After parking the campervan I went back into the airport and watched a documentary on the Haka on one of their TVs.  Finally, his plane arrived and we were reunited for the first time in two and a half months.  It was probably one of the best feelings in the world.  As if every insecurity and fear was shed and I had realized how empty I had been.  As if I had just become full of happiness and life and everything I had been unknowingly missing.  I felt rejuvenated and restored.  I was so excited.  And the best part?  We just fell back into place with each other.  As if we had seen each other the day before.  That simple.  And that perfect.

We picked up his suitcases and went to the campervan, prepared to head back to my flat.  However, we encountered a few issues with the battery (thank God the rental guys were right at the airport!).  So after the Jucy staff jumped our camper (which was the the first and last of our campervan problems), we headed for North Dunedin.  We went to my flat, dropped off his bags, introduced him to one of my flatmates, and headed off for lunch.  I took him to get some fish and chips at a Chinese takeaway called Mei Wah.  I think he thoroughly enjoyed it and was completely stuffed!


Then I gave him a short tour of the campus!




We explored the town and did lots of walking.  For dinner we went to Velvet Burger with my flatmates Danielle and Stephanie.  I'm pretty sure he fell in love with the delicious burgers.


 He got the "Late Night Big Breakfast Burger" (relish, aioli sauce, lettuce, tomato, red onion, cucumber, beef patty, melted cheese, bacon, egg, and hash brown).

Day 2 (August 29)

We left a little later than planned.  We woke up, packed, made some breakfast and spam musubis (for the road), then left at about 11:00 A.M. for Lake Tekapo.  However, along the way we made sure to stop at the Moeraki Boulders for some pictures:)







Seaweed!





We then left the boulders and headed to Lake Tekapo.  Originally we were planning on getting there at 2PM and spend a few hours at the Alpine Springs & Spa but instead we checked into our first holiday park, Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park, and attempted to cook a delicious dinner.  Unfortunately, it was so windy that our dinner didn't have the chance to completely cook (and we were too stubborn to use the kitchen facilities--never again!).  Thus, we resorted to a feast of chocolate chip cookies.

As for the park facilities, it was a nice place--very open with a direct view of the gorgeous lake (pictures below).  However, access to hot showers (and trust me, you will want to take hot showers in the winter/spring seasons) requires NZ $2.  Although this isn't unusual for holiday parks, we discovered the length of time you have access to hot water varies.  So Reader, if you decide to ever rent a campervan and travel New Zealand, beware!  But don't worry; I provide additional information about the sites we stayed at and will be posting a blog about campervan tips:)

The gorgeous mountains appearing during our drive:)


The beautiful Lake Tekapo
Photo Credit: Eric Imada

Day 3 (August 30)

We woke up to the most beautiful sunrise.  Unfortunately, we did not move fast enough and simply watched the beautiful pinks and oranges dance across the morning sky.  We eventually braved the cold and took some pictures!
Lake Tekapo a little after sunrise.



Photo Credit: Eric Imada

After packing our things and departing the holiday park, we drove down the road (literally) to the Alpine Springs & Spa.  I highly recommend going to a hot spring in New Zealand!  And if you're on the east coast of the South Island--particularly in the Lake Tekapo area--why not go to this particular hot spring?  You have an amazing view of the mountains, can prance around in bikinis or board-shorts, and can unwind in the warmest and most therapeutic spring you could ever imagine.  Oh, and if you aren't keen for relaxing in an amazing hot spring, then you can also do tubing or ice skating!








I was pleased to discover I had acquired a tan during the two hours we spent at the hot spring.  So, content from my amazing hot spring experience and full from a smoothie and delicious sandwich, we departed Lake Tekapo and headed for Queenstown--not before picking up some delicious Tim Tams of course!  (Note: you will consistently hear about us consuming junk food)

As we began our drive across to Queenstown, we pulled over at Lake Pukaki to take some pictures of the amazing scenery.  You seriously cannot go wrong in New Zealand.  The more exploring you do, the more beautiful things you discover!  And part of me feels as if they become increasingly more beautiful:)


Photo Credit: Eric Imada



The scenery was absolutely breath-taking.  But wait, it only gets better from here!  We continued our drive and you will not believe the various types of terrain we encountered!  Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of the vast differences which exist in the beautiful South Island.



Me at the "Roaring Meg".  I think it was a dam of some sort.  Absolutely beautiful!


Queenstown is fantastic.  It's absolutely gorgeous and very much touristy.  Upon arrival we went to our second holiday park, Lakeview Holiday Park.  Unlike Lake Tekapo, there wasn't much you could see from the park.  However, it was huge and provided much nicer facilities than our first park.  So after scoping it out (driving around the property) and comparing it to a few other parks we had seen, we went in and booked a powered site for the night.  Amusingly, the women who were working at reception were Filipino and thought I was Filipino as well!  It reminded me of home:)

After parking our campervan we headed to town (a couple blocks away!) and made sure to stop at the infamous Ferg Burger for dinner!  Their burgers are way more delicious than Velvet Burger!  And you honestly cannot go wrong with Aioli sauce or their tomato relish.  My hope is to acquire a recipe for both or even bring some relish back home!

Photo Credit: Eric Imada

Ferg Burger deliciousness with chips and aioli sauce (best creation ever)!

The Ferg with Cheese (beef patty, lettuce, tomato, red onion, aioli, cheese, and tomato relish)

The Cock Cajun (grilled chicken, cajun spices, lemon yogurt, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and aioli)


Then we went for a walk around town and bought a few things/gifts.  We happened to come across a jewelry store and upon wandering in discovered pieces from the Lord of the Rings movie!  Pieces such as Arwen's Evenstar necklace and The Ring itself--engravings and all.  They were so stunning!  I wish I managed to get a picture of them.



Queenstown Kiwi!



Day 4 (August 31)

We left Queenstown before noon for the Fiordlands.  Although Queenstown was beautiful, I think we were hoping for something more relaxed and laid back.  We definitely found it in Te Anau.

Beautiful mountains on our way to Te Anau.

The sky was amazing!  A sheet of clouds in one part and blue skies in another part.

When we finally arrived in Te Anau (no more than 2 hours away from Queenstown), it was raining!  We decided to stay in the Fiordlands for two days, although initially we weren't sure what we were going to do!  However, as we had journeyed across the island, we decided maybe a Milford Sound trip would be great!  There were so many companies to choose from though!  But after booking two nights at the Top 10 Holiday Parks in Te Anau, we were advised to take a trip with Go Milford!  Although it was more expensive than a few of the other companies, we were told they were absolutely fantastic.  So, rain or shine, we decided it was a go.

Due to the rain we spent the rest of the day enjoying each others' company with some movies.  It was actually really nice to have some relaxing time and not feel obligated to go, go, go.

Day 5 (September 1)

We woke up fairly early, ate breakfast, and met our bus, driver, and group at the front of the park.  It had rained so much the night before that we were told there was heaps of snow on the mountains!  What made it great was our small group--we were only joined by an Australian couple.  Our bus driver, Bruce, is a Kiwi whom I had difficulty understanding (weird, seeing as I've been here for two and half months and one would think it would become easier!).  But he was very nice and had quite a few jokes!

We stopped at quite a few places for pictures (such as Mirror Lakes and a few other places whose names are escaping me right now) as we made our way to the Sound.  It was actually a pretty long but very beautiful drive.  And luckily, there was a sweet viewing window on the ceiling of our bus!  



Mirror Lakes




When we finally arrived at the Sound, there were so many people and quite a few boats!  Upon boarding our boat, we were treated to a lunch buffet of samosas, spring rolls, mussels, beef stew, spare ribs, salad, rice, noodles, kim chi, etc.  Everything was so delicious!

As we ate, the boat pulled away from the dock and entered into the Sound (note: the Doubtful and Milford Sounds were incorrectly named "sounds".  Rather, they should be called "fjords" because they were formed by glaciers).

Delicious lunch buffet on the cruise!








I am so, so proud of this picture:)


Sea lion:)







Our boat!

I didn't know so much beauty could exist in the world.  I saw more waterfalls than I could have ever hoped to see.  And we saw so many dolphins!  It was the first time I had ever seen a dolphin so close; I think they are probably the most graceful and exquisite creatures to exist.  The mountains are so powerful as they tower above you and there's just this unshaken beauty to them.  There is something about the way they reach towards the heaven and dive into the deep ocean that is so intense and unreal; the way the crevices are so defined, random, and perfect.  I just feel so blessed to be part of such a beautiful place:)

After our cruise we hopped back onto our bus and Bruce took us to a few more places!  First, we pulled over on the side of the road and played in the snow.  It was fantastic!  Then we stopped by the chasm.  The rocks are carved in this unique way due to the sheer power of the water.  Amazing right?

At The Chasm





Our bus:)

Our final stop was in Te Anau, before going back to our holiday park.  I believe Bruce took us to his farm and we were told to wait for a little bit.  He apparently had a "surprise" for us.  When he came back he was holding a baby lamb (6 days old) with this little beauty (featured below) following him.

Lily the lamb!

We got to feed them!  It seriously was the icing on top of the cake because I have been hoping to see/pet a lamb/sheep for quite some time now.  Their wool wasn't as soft as I thought it was going to be but they are quite adorable.  And their little "baa" is precious! Feeding Lily totally made my day:)

I highly recommend going to the Milford and/or Doubtful Sound if you are ever on the South Island of New Zealand.  And I also highly recommend staying at the Top 10 Holiday Parks which are all over New Zealand.  Their facilities are fantastic!  Te Anau's park, in particular, was fantastic and we truly enjoyed our time there.  So make sure you look into that if you are ever going to be here:)

Day 6 (September 2)

Our original plan was to leave Te Anau at 10 AM and make our way to the Catlins where we would stay for a night.  After leaving Te Anau we went to Invercargill.  It was just an obnoxiously windy day.  We simply drove around Invercargill because the cold was so unbearable!  Then we traveled to the Catlins where we made multiple stops:

Waipapa Lighthouse


Sleeping sea lions.






Tautuku Beach






















We weren't really planning on covering so much of the Catlins in one day, but due to the wind and our persistence, we hit all of the Catlins and made our way back to Dunedin:)  We stayed at another Top 10 Holiday Park (unfortunately not as nice as the one in Te Anau) and feasted on Velvet Burger.  Again.

Day 7 (August 3)
For the remainder of Bigs' stay we booked a little studio at Tourist Cottages.  And since it was our last day with our campervan, Cloud, we were forced to return to the Airport and drop it off.  We then caught the Airport shuttle back and returned to our hotel where we cooked a delicious dinner and watched some movies.

Day 8 (August 4)

We went on a short tour of the Cadbury Chocolate Factory!  It was heaps of fun and I overdosed on some chocolate.  But overall, it was a good time:) We picked up tons of chocolate and souvenirs, walked around town for a little bit, and then returned back to our hotel to relax and watch some movies on our last night together.

Day 9 (August 5)

We checked out of the hotel and caught a taxi back to my flat.  We spent most of the day relaxing, watching a movie, and packing.  I had actually been dreading the "goodbye's" which was actually more stressful and difficult than I thought it would have been.  I caught the shuttle with Bigs to the airport where we said our "see you later's" then returned home alone.

I feel really blessed to have had that time with him and to have seen so much of the South Island.  My horizons are broader and my view of the world is better.  I feel better because of all I have seen and experienced.  I can only hope that you have enjoyed the pictures and can partake in some of the joy flooding my heart.

Sorry for such a long post, dear reader.  But thank you always for following me on this journey and keeping tabs on all I do.  It truly touches my heart.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment